Did You Recently Lose a Family Member Because of Someone Else’s Negligence?
Turn to Your Sarasota and Bradenton Wrongful Death Attorneys for Help
When someone you love dies because of another person’s negligence, you are not only grieving and in shock but you may have to deal with expenses of the loved one’s funeral, possible loss of income, and many more difficulties. Unfortunately, the at fault party may rush you to reach a settlement or make decisions so they can protect their best interests. That’s why it’s crucial that you hire a trusted and specialized Sarasota and Bradenton wrongful death attorney to protect you and represent you.
What May Qualify as a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- A slip and fall/trip and fall accident that leads to death
- Unsafe work premises that cause a fatal injury
- Illnesses caused by workplaces not taking proper precautions
- A dangerous public property or place of business that causes the death of a patron
- A fatal dog attack resulting from negligence of the owner
- Drowning/boating accidents that occur because of negligence
- A bicycle or pedestrian accident caused by a negligent driver
- Medical malpractice involving misdiagnosis, surgical errors, or any treatment that causes harm because of a medical provider’s error
- Accidental overdose/poisoning when the wrong drug, or too high of a dose of a drug is prescribed
- Car accidents caused by a negligent or intoxicated driver
- Sexual assault
- Nursing home abuse
We know you may be struggling with a staggering amount of loss and pain, and we are here to answer your questions and help you get through this difficult time.
Questions You Might Have about a Wrongful Death Case:
- What is the Florida Statute of Limitations (the time you have to file a claim) for a wrongful death claim? In Florida, you have two years to file a lawsuit in case of wrongful death.
- Who is liable for a wrongful death case? The party that caused the death, through negligence or an intentional act.
- How do you prove fault in a wrongful death case? In a court case, the plaintiff (the party who is suing) will need to show that the party who caused the death violated and breached the duty of care, and caused the death of your loved one.
- What evidence is needed to prove fault in a wrongful death case? Our wrongful death attorneys will use police reports, witness statements, medical paperwork and reports, photos from the accident, statements and testimonies from experts, and any other records and documentation surrounding the accident.
- How hard is it to prove a wrongful death? The more evidence you can provide, the higher your possibility of filing a claim. Having an experienced wrongful death attorney on your side increases your chances of having a successful outcome.
Who Gets the Money in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- Family members
- Surviving heir
How are Wrongful Death Settlements Paid Out?
Damages and compensation for a wrongful death case help to cover these costs:
- Funeral expenses
- Suffering and emotional trauma
- Medical costs
- Punitive damages
- Future loss of supporting income
How do I know if I can file a lawsuit for wrongful death?
If you lost a loved one because of a wrongful death, and you’ve experienced a loss of financial support, choose an attorney who specializes in wrongful death claims. We will answer your questions and review your information to find out if you have a case.
At Legler Murphy & Battaglia, LLP we know experiencing a wrongful death is painful for surviving family members, and we will fight for compensation for you.